Hogeschool van Amsterdam

A-Z Students International Sports, Management and Business (ISMB)

Study and internship abroad

Sport Studies - track ISMB and Sportkunde – leerroute SM&O

On this page you can find information about the options for students of Sport Studies - track ISMB to follow a minor or do an internship abroad.

Watch the video below, made by two SM&O students who studied at Molde University, Norway, to get a nice impression of what it's like to follow your minor abroad.

The programme of Sport Studies/Sportkunde set up agreements with foreign universities, which makes it possible for you to follow your minor at one of these so-called 'partner universities' without paying double tuition fees. Each year a number of our students can go to these universities and a number of their students can come here ('exchange'). Depending on the agreements made per partner, we can exchange two to five students per academic year. 

Internal selection procedure

In december the selection procedure for a minor at one of our partner universities in semester 1 or 2 of study year 2020-2021 will open. You can apply until 15 January 2020.

In the application form you are asked to fill out a top 2 or 3 of the universities you would like to go to. Therefore, make a considered choice by researching their websites, courses and other information!

The selection is based upon the GPA's of the candidates. They are calculated over the grades received from the beginning of the first study year until a cut-off-date soon after the application deadline. The GPA's will be compared to each other: the higher your GPA, the higher the chance that you will be selected for your first choice.

Application to partner university

Once you are selected by us for a certain partner university, you have to formally apply for this university. The procedure and deadline depend on the university; you will receive more information from the international office when you are selected.

Your placement is only certain once the partner has accepted your application and once there is an agreement between our exam board and the partner on the courses you will follow.


When you study your minor abroad, you usually have to choose your own set of courses of 30 ECTS in total, which will count as your minor altogether. At some universities you can follow a fixed 30 ECTS programme, similar to a minor. 

Step-by-step plan

Have a look at the step-by-step plan to get a quick overview of what you have to do to follow your minor abroad. 


Below you can find an overview of the partner universities of Sport Studies and Sportkunde, including important links, information on courses, tips from other students, etc.

Belgium: Vives University of Applied Sciences (Bruges & Kortrijk)

  • At this new partner institute you can follow the Business Academy programme in both Bruges or Kortrijk. Programme in Bruges & programme in Kortijk.
  • If you speak Dutch and meet the background criteria for the courses, you can also follow Dutch taught courses. 
  • Have a look at the factsheet of this university.

Brasil: Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Paraná PUCPR (Curitiba)

  • Download the English brochure of this university
  • On this page  you can find more information, about the courses for instance. 
  • Download this document about the experiences of other students at PUCPR.

Finland: Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences SEAMK (Seinäjoki)

  • Download factsheet about the university.
  • You can follow their Gateway to International Business programme, for instance. Please find the overview of available programmes here.

Finland: University of Jyväskylä (Jyväskylä) 

  • Download factsheet about the university.
  • On this page you can find information about the courses at their  Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences. We cooperate with this faculty, but in some cases you can also follow courses from other faculties. Pick a field you are interested in and read the information carefully. 
  • Read the tips and experiences of students who studied here. 

Greece: Technological Educational Institute of Crete (Heraklion)

  • Have a look at this page for more information.
  • You can find their course offer here. Note that you cannot always combine courses of different fields, due to the fact that the university is spread out over different locations. Furthermore, there may be background requirements.

Norway: Molde University (Molde)

Singapore: James Cook University (Singapore)

  • You can study at this university for a trimester (4 months). Trimesters start in March, July and November. 
  • Have a look at this page for more information.
  • You should take 4 subjects in order to receive 30 ECTS. Please find an overview here of the available courses. Note: you can only choose courses from the directions of Sport and Event Management, International Business, Management, Marketing, Hospitality and Tourism management.
  • Download this document about the experiences of other students at JCU.

United Kingdom: Coventry University (Coventry)​

  • Have a look at the course offer at their faculty of Business & Law.
  • Read the experiences and tips of other students who studied at this university. Have a look at the presentation of two Nutrition students about Coventry University.

United Kingdom: University of Northumbria (Newcastle)

  • On this page you can find information about following an exchange semester at this new partner university. 
  • Here you can find information about the available courses. Note that it's not always possible to follow courses from other fields than 'Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation'.

United Kingdom: University of Worcester (Worcester)

  • Download factsheet about this university.
  • On this page you can find information about the courses. There are many options, but please mind the background criteria per course. 
  • Read here about the experiences of students who have studied here for a semester.

United States: Temple University (Philadelphia)

  • You can only follow your minor at this university when you are in your fourth year. If you follow your minor at Temple University, you are expected to also follow a master at this university after completing your bachelor.
  • Download the presentation about the minor and master options at this university.
  • Read the tips and experiences of students who followed their minor at this university earlier.

It's also possible to follow your minor at a foreign university with which Sport Studies and Sportkunde do not have an agreement. In this case you will become a so-called 'free mover'. 

  • If you follow your minor abroad as a free mover, you have to pay tuition fees to both the foreign university as to the AUAS. If you study at a partner university, you only pay tuition fees to the AUAS. 
  • As a free mover you cannot apply for the Erasmus grant. If you do your minor outside of Europe, the FBSV scholarship and Holland Scholarship are available however.
  • The application procedure as a free mover usually takes longer and therefore it is advisable to start your search for a foreign study place on time (about a year in advance).
  • Sometimes we can set up a contract with the university you wish to go to, so you will not have to pay double tuition fees. Please contact the International office for more information.

Have a look at Centuri for an overview of the options and contact Claire Powell, the internship coordinator of Sport Studies - track ISMB and Sportkunde – leerroute SM&O. 


If you are planning on studying or doing an internship abroad, you have to ask for approval from the exam board for the programme you wish to follow. This is necessary in order to make sure that the credits you receive abroad will be accepted here. 

Refer to this page for more information on the Sport Studies - track ISMB exam board and to download the request form. Note that you have to add the description of each course you wish to take at the foreign university, as each course needs to be approved.

  • Please note: you should have approval from both the International office as the Exam board to follow your minor abroad! We recommend you to hand in your Exam board request once you are selected by the International office for one of the partners (otherwise you may be requesting it for nothing!) 
  • We advise you to ask approval for about 45 ECTS in courses (instead of 30). We do this because it happens sometimes that a partner university does not offer a course after all or because it's not possible to combine certain courses due to schedule clashes.

There are a few minors of other AUAS faculties in which students go abroad part of the semester. You can also apply for one of these minors. 

For instance:

You can also follow your master abroad, after finishing your bachelor in Sport Studies or Sportkunde. With the following universities and master programmes we have good contacts and/or experiences. Of course you can also search for a foreign master abroad by yourself.

Japan: University of Tsukuba (Tsukuba)

Norway: Molde University (Molde)

United Kingdom: Loughborough University (Loughborough)

United Kingdom: University of Edinburgh 

United States: Ohio University (Athens)

United States: Temple University (Philadelphia)

Published by  Faculty Sports and Nutrition 17 September 2019