Practical information

There are quite some practical things you have to organise before you can start your semester abroad. On this page you can download a checklist, complete the emergency form and a few important steps are highlighted.

​​For an internship or study abroad semester in certain countries, you may need to arrange a visa. You have to organise a visa yourself. Please inform yourself well and make sure to do this on time! A visa application procedure usually takes about 4 weeks.

  • You can only apply for a visa, once you have received the acceptance letter of the partner university or internship company.
  • Please check the application procedure at the website of the embassy of the country you are going to see whether you need a visa and what the procedure is like. Furthermore, check out ; a Dutch website for students in the Netherlands who are planning to spend part of their studies abroad and therefore gives detailed information on visa for studies and internships.
  • There are several visa bureaus that can help you with your application (against a fee). Examples are (general) and Stage USA (for an American visa).
  • When you need to get vaccinations or a medical check for your visa, please check the Dutch CVMK website .

Visa Letter from AUAS

For some visa applications (f.e. New Zealand and Suriname), you need to show proof that you are going abroad as part of your study programme at the AUAS. If this is the case, reach out to the International Office (see the 'Contact' page).

​In case you have a student OV-card from DUO, you can apply for a refund of your card while you are abroad. Furthermore, in case you live with your parents in the Netherlands and you are eligible to study finance, you can apply for an 'uitwonende beurs' (study finance for students not living with their parents). You can arrange both on the DUO website. by downloading the 'verklaring onderwijsinstelling' and let this sign by the International Office of the faculty.
PLEASE NOTE: you must upload the 'verklaring onderwijsinstelling' for both reimbursements separately in mijnduo to receive both.

Make sure to fill out the emergency form (see blue block below this page), so that we know who to contact in case of an emergency during your stay abroad.
We advise you to do this about a week before you leave the Netherlands, when you have all details. In case details change during your time abroad, please update these.

Internship abroad

In case you will be doing an internship abroad, please complete the form in Centuri .

Minor abroad

If you will be studying abroad, please fill out the online emergency form at the bottom of this page.

In case you will be doing an internship abroad, you might need a certificate of conduct (police check).

  • On this page you can find information about the certificate of conduct and download the application form in English.
  • Fill out part 1 yourself, ask your internship company to complete part 2 and then send it to the municipality to complete.

Please make sure to arrange insurances that cover your stay abroad:

  • Having a medical insurance that is valid in the country you are going to is compulsory. Usually your current medical insurance will be sufficient, but please check this! Furthermore, it is advisable to contact your current insurance company to inquire to what extent you are insured against medical costs in the country you are going to, what the procedure is when you make medical costs and if needed, amend it (this is usually only possible per the start of a new calendar year!)
  • For a stay in a European country we advise you to get the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Please contact your current insurance for this.
  • It is recommended to get a liability insurance.
  • You should have a travel insurance during your time abroad. In case you already have one, check whether it covers to country you are going to and whether it is valid for your entire time abroad. Most travel insurances do not cover a stay abroad of more than 60 days. Activities like bungee jumping are not covered in every travel insurance, so if you are planning to do things like that, make sure your insurance covers it! Organisations like Kilroy and JoHo are specialised in travel insurances for young people who are going abroad for a longer period.
  • Please check this Dutch page of the website for more information about insurances.

You might need to get vaccinations for the country you are going to. On the following websites, you will find an overview of the required vaccinations per country: TravelClinic (English) and LCR (Dutch). Check with your medical insurance where you should get your vaccinations to have the costs (partly) covered!

Published by  Faculty Sports and Nutrition 13 February 2024